Saturday, August 12, 2006

Manners for Children-- Beyond please and thank you...

It seems to me that a lot of children these days are not being taught manners. My own children, in fact, could use more instruction in this area. Please and thank you are of course basic. But manners could be cultivated further.

There are several children who attend school with my children who always address me by name, should they happen to pass me in the hall. They look me right in the eye and say, "Hello, Mrs. Bogdan." I don't believe the majority of children, my own included, are reminded that this is a polite thing to do. Don't we adults just love it when young people look up and address us by name? (Instead of acting like we're invisible.)

I have to say that I have a very good impression of the young people who do this, although I know very little else about them. I do know one thing though. A parent took the time to teach them what it means to show respect and courtesy to an adult. I think it's a good bet that they also were taught a lot of other things about how to treat people.

I'm going to make a mental note to remind my children to speak to adults in this way. It creates such a good impression, besides just being plain, old good behavior.

4 comments:

Renee said...

It does my heart so good to see my children act politely when they don't know I am looking. I find I am teaching the neighborhood children manners as well. It is a fading art, to be sure!

Suzanne said...

My children all remember to tell people "Thank-you," esp. after overnighting and things like that. I am glad they do for I have alot of kids stay here and they just leave without a word. I try to teach them to say "Yes and No Sir or Ma'am, because I was brought up in the South and that is still used alot there and I love it...you know when people talk respectfully to adults, adults tend to treat the young with really high regard also..if young people only realized.
Still, I don't think two of my children address adults like you describe. Allowing for them to say "I'm too shy,"
is just not a good enough excuse. I hope someday as I keep trying (although they are getting older) they will change. Grrr...if the 19 yr old can do it, the others can! :) Good post.

Rosemary said...

I must admit that only my oldest regularly addresses adults in this way. (He's 22!) And that's because temperamentally he's just super friendly.. It's just something I wish I had been more diligent about.

Unknown said...

There is a great book about Manners called the Essential 55 or something like that. I'll find the name and post it later. It has some great suggestions written by a teacher. I was thinking that I need to use it even more. Socialization 101.