Thursday, August 24, 2006

Hospitality

My mother had a gift for hospitality. She loved parties and was skilled at creating lovely tables with tasty food and drink. She would arrange everything just so and the result was pleasing to both the eye and the palate. More importantly, she made everyone feel welcome and honored as a guest in her home. There was no alcohol. Just laughter, acceptance, love, and the warmth of my mother's kind heart. People loved to come to her home.

I have tried to do the same. I don't have anywhere near the finesse my mother had, but I try to be sure that everyone who comes into my home is tended to and made to feel welcome. I have a plaque on the wall of our dining area that reads. "He who enters thru this gate comes never too early nor stays too late." I want my guests to always feel comfortable.

I particularly enjoy welcoming my teenagers' friends to my home. My teens have open permission to invite friends over whenever they want. Since I am not an accomplished housekeeper, I must swallow my pride and realize I may have unexpected guests when the house is a disaster. Oh well. I have found most teens could care less what your house looks like. "Entertaining" teens is a little different. They don't want to be "tended to". They want to be invisible. So I let them. I say hi, offer them ice cream or other snack food if we have any, or sometimes I just remind my own child of what we have if he would like to get it for them. I then be sure to not stay in the same room. I give them their space. I put a little distance between us and just enjoy the satisfaction of knowing my child is home and I know what he is doing. Years ago we bought a nice TV (although I hate commercial television) to make our basement a likely choice for teens to get together and watch videos. It was a good decision.

Having guests in my home is an opportunity for me to practice charity as well as humility. (I do not have a Better Homes and Gardens-type home) You never know when you may be "entertaining angels in disguise."

No comments: