Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Cedar Point--what a trip

As soon as we entered the park the three oldest there decided to go on the Maxair, an ride that looks like an enormous pendulum with a circle of seats at the bottom. It has a thrill ranking of 5 (out of 5). As the pendulum swings it hurls the people into the air (going progressively higher with each swing) and then throws them back down to Earth with a force that must be similar to Lucifer being thrown out of heaven. Of course it looks like it's going to smack right into the ground each time it comes down. As I watched I must tell you it brought me nearly to tears to see my children thrown around like that. I realized I had to get a grip on myself. It is an illusion that this is dangerous and I realized I would spoil everyone's fun if I just stayed flipped out all day. As I waited for them all to come back from the next ride, I had time to say the rosary and allow the Lord to pull me back together which He did.

Still, there were rides I would not let my youngest go on even though she was tall enough.

Thankfully, the lines for the dragster were too long and later in the day it was shut down. For those of you who haven't seen the dragster.... It goes over 400 ft. straight into the air at over 100 miles an hour. This is the roller coaster that makes even the greatest roller coaster enthusiast hesitate-- the most maniacal of all the new maniacal designs. LOL And they didn't go on it! But, would you believe, that even after it was shut down (for a problem!) there were still long lines of people waiting, just in case they started it running again. Is that part of the appeal? It not only looks like a really dangerous thing to ride, maybe it really is dangerous if there's a problem with it?

I guess a good way to look at this phenomenon of scary rides is to realize that this gives people a chance to feel that they are doing something really dangerous while in actuality doing something quite safe, physically and otherwise. There are ways to experience the "thrill" of risk taking that truly are dangerous and/or immoral. Perhaps roller coasters provide a safe outlet for those who desire to feel that kind of experience. I think too there is a certain satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment when one is able to face a fear, stare it right in the eye, and overcome it. Perhaps it even provides a valuable life lesson in this area? I guess I missed out on that lesson.

I must say that Cedar Point is a clean park. And I saw nothing objectionable in the way of signs or pictures anywhere. And they had a light show/fireworks display at the end that was really quite good. The video images showcased Ohio State University, University of Michigan, and Notre Dame football teams (2 of which we have loyalties to), as well as our armed forces and patriot themes. At the end they invited everyone to stand up and sing "God bless America." I was so surprised. No fear of mentioning God in the public square. I wondered if the owners of the park might be Christians. I must say there are other times when I have felt more inspired to sing "God bless America" than at the end of an exhausting day at Cedar Point. Still, seeing my children's faces still animated from all the fun and thrills of the day, I was able to think of what a blessed life we live in this country.

I saw that coming up there will be a special day for homeschoolers at CP-- discounted admission, I think. You could find out at their website. www.cedarpoint.com

Anyway, the family had a fun time, including me. Funniest line: When I told 10 year old Elizabeth that I don't go on roller coasters because I 'm afraid of heights she responded, "But Mom, I'm afraid of heights too!" Perhaps the real difference here is that she is brave and I am not?

1 comment:

Lori said...

Sounds like you all had a wonderful time.