Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Musings about Michael

OK, somehow the time that's being listed on my entries is off from the time I'm actually writing them. This is significant for those of you who may know my son Michael and see that on my last entry I said it was his birthday. I was writing about 1:00 am on the eighteenth and the entry said it was still the 17th! Just so you know, I do know that his birthday is July 18th and now I'm writing on the eve of his birthday at about 11:06pm.

I am so blessed to be Mike's mom. I remember so clearly the day he was born and the awesome realization that I had become a mother. Wow. What a day.

Michael smiled when he was one day old. In the hospital he actually picked his head up in the nursery and looked forward. Now I know some of you will not believe this. I know it is extremely unusual. The nurses were flabbergasted. He did not pick his chest up. Just his head. Believe me, it actually happened. I should have known then that this was going to be a very social person. I think he was looking to see who was there. He is an exceptionally friendly person and this incident was the first indicator of his delightfully outgoing personality.
At three weeks he picked up his whole chest leaning against his arms and looked out of his cradle. I took a Polaroid picture of this and labeled it with his age because I knew people would think I was remembering it wrong.

Really, after carrying him for nine months I should not have been surprised. He moved constantly. He flipped over every day, many times. At one point late in the pregnancy my doctor said to be sure I felt him move at least 4 times an hour. I thought maybe I had heard wrong. An hour?? I could feel this baby move at least 4 times a minute. I remember thinking if I only felt him move 4 times in a whole hour I would be really worried.

Should there be any surprise that for some time now one of his favorite things to do is swing dance? LOL He's a very active person with a delightful openness and concern for others.

May he continue to grow as the man God created him to be. May the Lord's path be made clear to him and may he walk it in love, strength and courage. May God bless him with all that is good.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree. Mike has an infectious friendliness that radiates from him and draws people to him. What a gift from God! Many happy returns of the day!